The guitar is one of the most wonderful instruments. It’s not only portable but cost-effective and can be learned very easily. Different kinds of people-from school going kids to grandparents, everyone go for the guitar classes every day. And if you’re someone who is passionate about learning electric guitar- this is the blog you must read.
The following steps are a must in a basic set up of a guitar. What’s more important is, that they are presented in a very similar order- as it is done in a professional repair shop. Below are some of the steps you need to follow in order to learn exactly how to play electric guitar. Let’s begin.
Do the Guitar Set up Properly
It is very important to do the guitar set up correctly if you want to have a great learning experience. You can either get the same done by a professional or any music store or may also ask the owner of the local guitar shop to do it. There are some great benefits of doing the guitar set up properly.
This is one of the most critical tasks. It is very important to have an accurate guitar so that you know when you’re playing the right notes. In case, if it has a bad annotation, it will be absolutely out-of-tune while playing the higher notes. This will make it difficult for you to learn playing electric guitar.
Help: If you want to buy a electric guitar for learning, the we suggest you to read our best electric guitar buying guide. Then you can know which one you should buy for the first time.
If the set-up is extremely high, then it can be very difficult to play electric guitar. You have to put a lot of pressure on your figure to play it properly. This will also create intonation problems, and will also hurt. With time you will see some clauses developing on your finger, but it will still be difficult for you to play the chords. In the following few paragraphs, you will learn a little more about the setup process.
#1 Fine-Tune the Truss Rod:
Most of the electric and acoustic-electric guitar comes up with an adaptable truss rod, which helps to keep the neck straight. The adjustable ends present in the truss rod-which are either a male or female nut is easily found in different places. When it comes to an electric guitar, it is mostly beneath the truss rod cover which is in the head-stock.
#2 Change the Bridge Height
A guitar’s action entirely depends on how you adjust the bridge height. You just have to either shim or sand the bridge saddle. It is always a great idea to leave the job to the professionals if you don’t have any experience of how to do it. Once you are done with the truss rod and bridge adjustment, the next step is to test the guitar so that you know whether it is giving you a clean tone.
#3 Examine the Nut Height
When the truss rod and bridge is fine-tuned, the final action altering process starts. Nowadays, you will get nuts which are properly made, and there are some affordable guitars which can easily slip through the cracks. You won’t need any expensive tools but a specialized skill to carry out the task.
Tip: Here's our another post on learning to play acoustic guitar.
More Important Things About on How to Play Electric Guitar:
Below are some more important things about learn to play electric guitar. You also must be follow this step for properly learn how to play electric guitar for beginners step by step.
Listen and Repeat:
Every song has a specific melodic pattern, and what it means is that it has some tunes which can be easily memorized. Don’t just stick to the guitar solos- although it is still considered as one of the best ways to learn- but you should also listen to what the singer is singing, focus on the bass lines etc. Anything that is catchy to your ear will help you learn.
- For instance, if you listen to LOCKED OUT OF HEAVEN BY BRUNO MARS, it is very simple and has some easy vocal hooks and phrases that you can easily play with your guitar.
- If we talk of CALL ME MAY BE from CARLY RAE JEPSEN, it has a very catchy melody, but a very different string back up pattern that will be a great challenging for you to play.
- What you should remember is that you cannot become a guitar legend by solo learning, but should always have an ear to listen to everything and play accordingly.
- In case, if you are not able to play a specific tune, watch the videos on YOUTUBE where you may find many bands playing the same tune.
Mix the Hard Stuff with the Easy One:
Sometimes, you should take a break once you are done playing a difficult track. Try to play an easy one, something which you can play very comfortably. This will help you improve, keep your fingers stable and also motivate you to play better.
- You should always have a hard track in the list to play. This will help you become a better guitarist with the passing time.
- Keep practicing the skill whenever you feel like playing.
No Stomp Boxes During the Practice:
Needless to mention, a stomp box can definitely give you some great shredding tone, and it also sustains. But, it is also one of the biggest disadvantages as it doesn’t help you know your errors.
- A clean and clear guitar tone will help you know all your flaws while you’re playing the instrument. You can always try the shred tone while you’re jamming in a party, or just want to relax.
Learn Music as Much as You Can
As you learn guitar, you will learn about the different shortcuts music theory.
- Rather than struggling to find the right chords, knowledge of music theory will help you know what the most likely chords can give you the right key.
- It will also help you interact musically with the other music players- especially it is a great option if you’re starting a band.
Look for a Professional Guitar Teacher
There are some people who will learn to watch, and others by hearing. You may be looking for someone who specializes in the kind of music you like, or someone who would know how to get the best from you. Keep all these tips in mind to learn how to play electric guitar for beginners in the best way,